I got to speak with JT on Thursday night for the first time since he left. At the time he was at Camp Leatherneck in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. I havent received an email for several days, so I think he has since left. He said that it "looks like the circus came to town" because there are big green tents all over the place. All the roads are a mixture of dirt and gravel. There are very few structures built -I guess the chow hall is one of them. He said he is working a lot but gets to keep his own hours. He'll basically eat, sleep and go to work at a borrowed desk and computer in one of the buildings. At this stage of the game I guess its all about how prepared he wants to be when he leaves base. Right now I guess the weather is warm, almost hot during the day but the nights feel like they are freezing. He said that sometimes he wakes up so cold that his chest hurts. Theres not much to do about it but grit your teeth and get through it. Apparently the spring and summer temperatures creep up quickly and soon it will be well above 100 degrees. He said the food isnt all that bad, but you only get one plate so you almost go away hungry -not like in Iraq where they had a never-ending buffet. (good thing those Little Debbies are on their way).Unfortunately, with all the traveling, the dust, and the cold temperatures, JT and most of his guys are sick with a head cold. He sounded so congested on the phone that he sounded like a different person. I guess they are taking care of themselves and getting plenty of sleep and taking medicine, though. They have warm showers at the base and an MWR (morale welfare and recreation) tent where you can either rent a computer or a phone for a max of 30 mins once a day.
There are a bunch of native Afghanis on base that take care of some of the logistical duties as well as act as interpreters. JT said that he's having a difficult time finding interpreters for his guys..kind of beats the point, doesnt it?
Anyways, thats the news from abroad. Like I said though, he most likely has left the base already for who knows where, so more news to come.. hopefully. The mailing address he was given follows the entire marine infantry unit. So as soon as he hooks up with them, he should be able to receive mail.
I'll go get some more Little Debbies and add Moon Pies this week!
ReplyDeleteHey! Great to hear an update. I hope you get to hear from JT again soon...
ReplyDeleteI got an email from JT this morning at around 7:30 am eastern time. He's doing fine and is thinking about you Ginger!
ReplyDeleteDaily thoughts and prayers for you and JT, Gin. Just emailed you- what are little debbies???! Sounds like JT feeling better based on comment from 1-28?!!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Aunt Ginkie