
I guess work is kind of a hit or miss thing. When it rains, it pours, but otherwise there is a lot of time to kill. I guess that card game, Rage, is a real hit. The guys are taking it to the next level with all their strategies. It's basically the card game of Spades, but with its own "Uno-like" card deck. He mentioned that he had socks coming out of his ears, so to tell everyone that he is good on socks and other clothes items for now. Things he could use are food items and morale-boosting things like letters, magazines, brain teaser puzzles, and toiletries.
We got to talking about the news and he asked what they were saying about Marjah. I told him what I knew (because we are all fiendishly following the news, admit it), and he seemed amused at the reportings, but never shared anything. Thats JT though, Mr. PokerFace. He did say that he was really happy to be a part of a big operation in the war, something that is possibly making history. He was glad that the news was mostly positive about the operation.
I asked about the rain, and if it gets very muddy out there with all the dirt. He said that even though its all dirty, that the ground is very pourous. There is a layer of dust that covers a layer of rocks underneath. The rain exposes the rocks and the dust melts into the ground. It magically reappears when the rain stops though. I guess the weather is getting warmer -in the mid-fifties during the day. At night it can still get cold. JT described being snuggled in his sleeping bag with the hood covering his face and wearing a toboggan ("beanie" for us westerners) and still shivering. He said its not that bad now though.
I guess that he is still unable to shower regularly. Thats what he regrets the most. I asked if a sunshower-type apparatus would work. He said that it wouldnt work very well because of all the openness and females working nearby. Apparently there is a whole tent of reporters not ten yards from where he works. For a second I thought that I might get to see a picture of him, but JT would be careful not to get his face in the news.I'm trying to give as much details as possible for the benefit of our family. JT doesnt get a lot of time to talk or write so I wanted to pass on as much as I knew. Hopefully this news takes away some of the questions and fears. He did want to pass on to his mommy that he loved her and that the Smilebox was awesome.
Hey Ginger! I got your voicemail on my phone but it was obvious that you had called several days before. I don't know why it does that. Tom and I will try to call soon.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the update. We too are watching for news -- mostly online as it seems to contain more information than the TV.
I finally found a Zero candy bar to send JT! Does he still like them?
You are right - we are fiendishly following news. i keep looking for his face but based on your blog, probably won't see it! I will tell grandmom to hold off on the socks! Love to you both,
ReplyDeleteAunt Ginkie
I love reading your updates on JT. I'm glad things are going well and that he is safe!
ReplyDeleteHi Ginger, Thanks for updates as it gives us a
ReplyDeleterelief of sorts; and we stare at the pictures on
TV looking for that familiar face that we love, and also, knowing he would be more than discreet and turn his head away. Sent another box yesterday with a letter from Grandpa. We mostly send treats. Thinking of you with love,
Grandpa and Grandma