Monday, March 22, 2010

Typical JT


So, in typical JT fashion, I ask about whats going on out there in Afghanistan and he tells me about the food. Apparently its quite good! He told me that he has sampled a few meals out in town and from some of the Afghanis that work on base. There are a few main components of meals that are the same throughout: a meat dish (whether it be beef, chicken, or lamb), rice (similar to Mexican rice but much stickier), a sort of salsa made of onions, peppers and other vegetables, and a pancake sort of bread that you wrap it all around. I guess it is very filling and beats the heck out of MRE's.

I talked to JT on Sunday and he said that he is doing rather well. He is still pretty sure that he wont be moving much, which allows his unit to improve the creature comforts a bit. With a bunch of wood and some shoddy power tools they have been able to build things like shelves, benches, and chairs for their office. He is a lot more mobile than I had at first imagined -talking to locals, writing reports, constant meetings, etc. Things are still quite primitive, but he is getting along.

I have been going through a rough patch at work. I've been having a really hard time scanning my instruments and multi-tasking in the plane. Flying this jet is about being able to do 20 things at once, and do them all well. It does come with time, and some people learn to do it at different rates. Memory is the other biggest item in flying. There are five million things to memorize. You learn many many tricks on how to do this: grouping, spacial association, mnemonics, repetition, vebalization, etc. If I had to describe flying this thing, I would say its like driving down the hwy at 90 mph while asking for directions on the phone, texting, writing down addresses, and eating a cookie, all the while staying at exactly the right speed, rpm and within one half foot of the dotted white line. Sometimes its crazy, but you have to prioritize. I have to have the exact right amount of sleep, food, and fluid with a clear mind to be able to make calculations and decisions at the blink of an eye. Anyways, I'm still plugging away at it, but its really discouraging.

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow! The food looks delish. It reminds me of Greek food- I LOVE it! I'm glad JT can eat good food! Great job on your flying. I usually pride myself in my ability to multi-task as a nurse, but you way out multi-task 5 nurses with flying a jet. Do you have enough hands?/! Keep up your great work. You will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Ginger! Our fixation with food has rubbed off on him. I have pictures of food saved on my Blackberry so I know where he gets it!

    Hey, he called us out of the blue yesterday! I don't have to tell you what a thrill that was. He told us about the homemade furniture too. Maybe he will pick up some pointers from the other guys.

    You're description of flying is incredible. I have to hand it to you. I cannot walk and chew gum at the same time! You are amazing so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Talk to you soon, OK?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. I just sent some ramen noodles and jerky which sound awful compared to that delicious food pictured. Oh well. Keep up the good work on flying, Gin. Sounds like you have a handle on it. And I agree with above comment. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm glad to hear JT is doing well..

    Sorry to hear the jet is giving you a hard-time. With time, muscle memory and your subconscious will kick-in, then you will do things without thought.

    A friend, she played pro-soccer, says that many athletes use visualization. They find a quite place and practice in their mind. I first heard about it from a martial arts instructor when I started learning Aikido after I was 40.

    Tell JT hello and I have faith in your abilities, remember what it was like when you entered the Academy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell him "HAPPY Birthday!" from all of us when you speak to him! Love you both, Tom and Nancy

    ReplyDelete